Thursday, May 13, 2010

Profile of a Stamper - Nicole McMurtrie





Name
Nicole McMurtrie

Location
Central Coast, NSW

Any jobs other than crafter
Primary School Teacher

I have started my own hobby business with boutique children's decor and accessories. Items such as fabric mobiles, canvas wall decor, collages, blankets and jewellery are among the things I handmake. You can see my work and find more information on my facebook page

Favourite craft type/style
Anything! But I spend most of my crafting time on papercraft and sewing.

How did you get started in crafting?
I can’t remember ever NOT being interested in craft, but it probably started when I went with Mum to her weekly craft nights at the local hall. We would take our dinner with us and watch all the ladies crafting. It was the 80s so fabric and lace-covered photo albums, pot pourri scented balls etc were on the agenda at craft night. From there I was always into painting, making my own cards etc from a young age.

What made you interested in stamping/card making/scrapbooking?
I have always been interested in cardmaking but really only used materials and techniques that were quite basic. There wasn’t really much available in terms of coordinated products where I grew up. Also, I loved the scrapbooking products in shops but it was a lot of work trying to coordinate everything. When I went to my first Stampin’ Up! workshop 2 years ago I was blown away by all the coordinated products in the catalogue and that was that!!

How often do you stamp/scrap?
Whenever I can! But usually it only happens once or twice a week, in a good week. Night time after my toddler is in bed I can get a few good hours (or more if I want to stay up really late) of stamping in. Bliss!

Where do you get your inspiration? Are you inspired by anyone in particular?
Most of my inspiration comes from blog surfing. Before I discovered blogs I used to buy lots of magazines for inspiration. Blog surfing is much more budget-friendly and there are so many talented people out there. I have an ever-growing list of favourite blogs, which I check a couple of times a week.

What’s your favourite technique to use?
I love heat embossing! I also like using layers of texture and embellishments.

What technique/s are you keen to learn?
I have never used a brayer (blush) but am keen to learn how. The effects are amazing!

What tip/s would you give to other crafters?
Have a dedicated space for crafting, even if it’s just a desk in a corner. If you are able to leave out the projects you have on the go you are more likely to get them finished. Also, have a place for all your tools and materials. There’s nothing worse than spending precious craft time searching for that paper-piercing tool amongst the mess. As for inspiration, start by looking at a few demonstrator blogs and follow links to the blogs of others – you will have hours of endless inspiration!



Nicole has just launched My Flutterfly - her own range of children's decor and accessories!  Become a fan on the My Flutterfly facebook page and leave a comment on Nicole's blog
to go in the running to win one of her stunning mobiles!

No comments:

Post a Comment